Thursday, August 28

Red Sox Nation
A local doctor wrote an article in today's The Post & Courier, Charleston, SC, about the beloved Red Sox and the "Curse of the Bambino." I sent him the following e-mail:

Hello Doctor,
I hope you are some sort of peek-a-boo doctor because if you were my head shrinker I would flee from you. I will be 72 come October and have been a conscious Red Sox believer since the end of World War II. I can recall those heady days when Rudy York, the lumbering, over weight, hard drinking, Detroit-castoff, first baseman almost had a heart attack trying to run out a triple when he belted one off the center-field wall. There was no EMS at the time, but undertakers were starting engines in their meat wagons as the old Indian lumbered around the basepaths. Your story in today's Post & Courier about the Curse of the Bambino and recitation of the horrors suffered over the years was a harsh way to start the day. I may have to forego whatever it was I planned to do and just do something else to pleasure myself and erase the memories of Bucky Dent and Billy Buckner (I really love Billy and think he was treated shabbily by his neighbors). On an upbeat note I do have a favorite memory of the '75 series. My mother (who died a couple of years ago) was visiting at the time here in Charleston. Our children and my wife's relatives were also in the house for a family get together. We had a TV in the bedroom and in the evening I went in and turned on Game Six. In a short while my mother came in and sat on the edge of the bed ( "Just want a glimpse at the action. Have to get back to the guests," she said.) After a few minutes she was sitting up on the bed alongside me with our backs against the headboard and we stayed that way until Fisk's homerun. It was a great Mother/Son moment and one I treasure. No one in the family ever uttered a word of criticism about us being more interested in the Red Sox than with them. It was a moment.

"...if not this year...then surely '04"

Thanks for the memories.

If not already there, visit my website.
E-mail your comments
#140