Wednesday, March 24

A phone call
Someone called me last night. It was a male voice and it sounded like that of one of those Indians who learned their English from listening to British businessmen and scholars busy building The Empire in the 19th Century. I assume it was an "outsourcing" call promoting some mortgage relief scam. He inquired if I was "Fraaancis." I said yes and the conversation went like this:
Caller (C): Are you the homeowner?
Me: No.
C: May I speak to the homeowner?
Me: No.
[He must have been reading from a script because he was undeterred and the conversation continued.]
C: Do the know the interest rate on the home mortgage?
Me: 22 percent.
C: 22 percent?
Me: Yes.
C: Do you know the balance of the loan?
Me: Three million dollars.
C: Three million?
Me: Yes.
C: Would you speak to my supervisor?
Me: No.
And I hung up. I wonder if this is one of those "outsourcing" jobs that some in the current Bush administration believe are good for America.
(#163 (04-12)
E-mail your comments
Check archives on left for earlier postings.