Saturday, March 18

Select extracts from readers' comments on earlier blogs

When I sent the flag as a test of the picture capture capability I heard from a friend who said: Old Glory flies on my newly created flagpole at a home depot parts price of $28 and my very own design. How's that for thriftiness?

Write your own obituary brought four replies: I am sending to you by regular mail two obituaries that I have kept because I couldn't stand to discard them. I agree with you on the subject and feel the same way about the coverage of weddings. I always loved reading about what the bride and her entourage wore and where they held the reception and all that good stuff. My husband fought under Patton but never talked about his experiences. I didn't meet him until after the war. When he died in 1972 I started to piece his military life together and have been a student of WWII ever since. I have put "write obituary" on my list of things-to-do. There are a lot of more intriguing things ahead of it, I must say.

I think it is a great idea. Also, guess I'll always remember (deleted) wanting to write his. I wish I had listened to him.

Thanks. I've been thinking of doing this but have not gotten off the mark yet.

I always want to know cause of death - I think the NYT (The New York Times) does that. Seems we need to know if cancer is felling people, or drunk drivers run into them or something. The NYT says "according to family members ..." or some kind of attribution.

The root canal inspired this on the medical profession: Why can’t we charge for the time we sit waiting on them not only in the waiting room but in the examination room?

“Eight Below” brought forth this from a minister: A member of my church had China cups that were on Byrd’s expedition to Antarctica. (Byrd’s first expedition occurred in 1928-30 and he participated in at least six others until his death in 1957.)

On the Ernest Hemingway exhibit and his suicide there were four reactions: Two e-mails told me of the recent suicides of two young men I did not personally know and the tumultuous affect on survivors.

Also: I've known some suicides where I just had to say, they were so miserable that they couldn't see another way out. But I've known some others that were really an act of violence against those left behind. Who knows?

And, finally: We want to see visit the exhibit. Maybe tomorrow when we are in Charleston.