Tuesday, February 6

Microsoft's Vista and its critics


I do not have the latest Microsoft operating system, Vista, installed on my PC yet, but I am amazed at the griping by so-called PC experts (who enjoy the privilege of magazine and newspaper columns), most of which involves the continued use of older programs, printer drivers, and the like. Such people certainly ought to be smart enough to recognize the responsibility of each product manufacturer to provide updated drivers to assure continuity of use with any new operating system. When the first system was put in use manufacturers wrote their drivers, why shouldn't they do the update? Program and equipment manufacturers have had more than a year to update their drivers to work with Vista and some have failed to do so. I've used the Microsoft operating systems since day one and am generally satisfied, even though I had to work on some problems. Over the years, I have had more bad meals in restaurants and problems with other equipment than with Microsoft. Some of the complainers remind me of the man about to be executed by firing squad who complained because he wasn't being shot with new bullets.