Sunday, July 19

Understanding how your house is built


Work continues on the third apartment house at Franke at Seaside, Mt. Pleasant, SC. I find it enlightening because the third building is a copy of the second (where I live) and the first. Knowing how my house is constructed is helpful in many ways. I assumed my apartment had mental studding and that hanging large pictures and mirrors would be a challenge. But the construction above the parking garage starts with fabricated wood panels and studs. It is simple enough inside such an apartment to use a stud finder and hang whatever you want. Undoubtedly there is a tremendous savings in terms of man hours and dollars because all the walls have been pre-fabricated at some site, trucked to the job site and lifted into place. This week workmen started installing pre-fabricated floor joists to separate the first and second floors. Examples of this can be seen in the pictures (click on them for a larger view.)



Posted by Picasa