Wednesday, June 27

The purpose of a vacation


Did you ever go on vacation and catch a cold and then spend three precious days medicating with hot tea, aspirin and a lay-down while the rest of the family cavorted on the beach and at the fun park? I had a similar moment on my recent trip to Maine. While driving on I-95 at around 80 mph - with other cars passing me as though I was standing still, I took to biting and chewing an apple and damn near bit the side of my tongue off. I mean the teeth on my left side did a job on my tongue. If I had not been driving, I would have found an ice cube and put it on my tongue.
After a couple of days of living with a tender tongue I went to a drug store where a friendly pharmacist sold me some child's allergy medicine and a bottle of antacid liquid. "Mix them together, one for one, and swish it around in your mouth." I did that for a day or two but on the trip back to South Carolina my tongue still hurt and I stopped at the University of Connecticut medical center to get a doctor's opinion. He told me to buy a mouth wash and swish it around. So much for the second opinion.
So what is the point of all this? When you were on vacation and got sick, you sucked it up and at the end of the vacation period you went back to work. That's the way it was and is. But NOT FOR SPANISH WORKERS.
The European Court of Justice recently ruled that a Spanish employee who got sick while on vacation was entitled to another vacation period to cover the days when he was under the weather. The purpose of a vacation, ruled the Court, "is to enable the worker to rest and enjoy a period of relaxation and leisure," something the worker cannot do if he/she is under the weather.