Tuesday, April 21

An anniversary of sorts

Fifty-eight years ago today I went on active duty with the United States Air Force and never looked back. Along with many other young men, I left Boston's South Station on a train around seven in the evening headed for Geneva, New York, and Sampson Air Force Base (now a state park). Immediately prior to leaving I had dinner with two friends, Ed and Marie Quigley, my mother and my girlfriend, Peggy Early (all now deceased). It was the end of my youth and the beginning of my adult life. I was in the Air Force eight years, the last six as a Special Agent, USAF Office of Special Investigations. This service led to a wider future in the internal security field that occupied me for two decades and took me around the world. I gave up the girl who saw me off at the railroad station, met and married another one, Mary Frances Cooper of Georgetown, SC, and we had five children. Several years ago we achieved the goal of parents everywhere: all of our children are on someone else's payroll.

We had a dinner table discussion last Sunday, some friends and I, about compulsory service for young people. A couple of years of military service, Peace Corps, working as a volunteer, etc. I know I benefited from my years in the military service but I would not favor mandatory service for young people today. If they can be encouraged to do it (e.g. Mormons with their young men), or if they choose to do it, then fine. But the beauty of being American is you can do what you want (within limits of being law abiding) with your life and time. This is a precious right and privilege I would not take it away from any young person. (Naturally, if our country was at war then obligations would arise and everyone would be required to do their bit.)