Sunday, October 2

Ten thoughts on turning 80*

1. I am happy to be here and able to write these thoughts.

2. When I was a child I wondered if I would be alive at 65. That age seemed so far away to a child in grammar school.

3. I have been blessed and or lucky in so many ways I cannot count them but I know them in my heart. 

4. Looking back our early family life was tough, but our mother kept us (five children) together and we persevered.

5. Joining the U.S. Air Force was the best thing I ever did. It gave me opportunity, training and set me on a career path for my adult life.

6. College and university opened new doors, but education is a continuing process through life.

7. Along the highways of life I met many men and women who helped; especially my late wife of 56 years.

8. My five children have turned out well, and have been on someone else’s payroll for years. (The dream of all parents.)

9. It is best to be liberal in thought, word and deed, especially to, with and for others who have less than I.

10. It is said we will live 15 years beyond our parents. My mother lived to be 92. I hope I am here writing another bog entry when I am 107.

*(Oct. 2, 2011)