Tuesday, June 18

I want to stay home
Somewhere along the line some women (and probably a few unsteady men) founded "Take Your Parents to Work Day," (celebrated this year on June 27) and I think that is a crockpot full of, well, crock. I have five children. One is a school teacher whose place of work is closed for the summer. Two sons live in Washington and toil for the government and that's five hundred miles away (a thousand if you count the return trip). Another son whose office I have been to on numerous occasions, and while it is a pleasant place it is hardly where I want to spend a day making idle chitty chitty bing bang talk with strangers. And then there is my other daughter. She is a funeral director. I would have to wear a suit and look like one of those brothers on Six Feet Under meeting with the survivors. No thanks. I believe I will stay home on June 27 and consider the mind set of parents who worked decades to get their kids on someone else's payroll and then can't resist the urge to visit with them on the job.

If not already there, visit my website.
E-mail your comments
#77