Sunday, February 27

Aviator
Some weeks ago I expressed an adverse opinion about the film Aviator without having seen the film. I did not believe that Leonardo de Caprio could carry off the role of Howard Hughes because I consider him to be too young and baby-faced. Yesterday, we saw the film and it is obvious why I am not a Hollywood producer of epic films. My casting skills suck. de Caprio does a great job and he carries the film from beginning to end. Having grown up during the Hughes era, reading about him and seeing him in newsreels in my youth affords me a perspective to appreciate how accurate the film story line is with regard to Hughes and his accomplishments. It may not win the Oscar tonight, but it will be a worthy contender. Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Kathryn Hepburn is also right on target and she is a delight to watch
Five stars.
#250 (05-11)
E-mail your comments
Check archives on left for earlier postings.