Friday, June 10

Making of a Patriot

Thirty years ago I took three of my five young children to a theater in West Ashley that has long since closed to see "All the President's Men." I am sure they would have liked to see something more attuned to their age at the time, but my wife and I had followed the Watergate story from beginning to end and believed it was important in the course of American history.

The Post and Courier editorial June 3 supporting the contribution Mark Felt made to directing Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in the right direction in their investigation emphasizes that importance. I believe now, as I did then, that "Deep Throat" performed a great service to America despite his personal misgivings, inner turmoil and anguish.

Today, we continue to enjoy the freedom envisioned by our founding fathers because a free press keeps the spotlight on government and because in a time of turmoil and testing, the heartland of America always seems to produce a patriot like Mark Felt. (The Post & Courier, June 10, 2005, Letters to the Editor)
#271 (05-32)

E-mail your comments
Check archives on left for earlier postings.