Sunday, May 6

The three Cs.....

Something smells. Is it coincidence, collusion or conspiracy that the three strips on the front page of the Sunday comics (The Post & Courier, May 6, 2007) were each about dogs. I have nothing against dogs so long as they stay at home and off my lawn when nature calls. Charles Schultz is dead and the paper is running Classic Peanuts so we can't drag him before the court of public opinion. The other two need close watching. Jim Davis is the creator of Garfield and Lynn Johnston does For Better or For Worse. This is not the first time the leading three strips have had similiar themes on the same day. I don't believe in coincidence any more than I do the Easter Bunny (no Jelly beans arrived at my house this year until after Easter when I bought some on sale at Wal-Mart.) Collusion is a concept better associated with Exxon executives than cartoonists and conspiracy is a Washington beltway trait. Nevertheless this is a matter for serious attention among comics readers and if it happens again soon it might warrant a call to Homeland Security or Al Sharpton, which ever number is in your rolodex.