Sunday, July 15

The cat who ignored me

This morning as I was rounding the far turn on my exercise walk I spotted a cat, light brown and white in color, squatting on her haunches on the cement sidewalk ahead of me. She sat right at the line where the sidewalk joined the residential lawn still wet from the night's rain. She stared straight into the street. As I got closer she turned only her head 90 degrees to the right and looked briefly at my ankles. Satisfied that I was not a four-legged threat she turned back to the left and continued staring into the street. I passed and she did not move. After about ten feet I looked back; she had not moved nor turned her head again. I felt like a commoner passing the royal coach whose Queen would not acknowledge her subject with so much as a glance.