Sunday, August 5

Sin pays and viewers enjoy it

I was relaxing at the kitchen table yesterday with a cup of coffee and having already gone through the morning paper I idly re-turned the pages until my eyes focused on a rundown of nine well known "soaps". I started reading and soon I was going through all the summaries. I discovered that the continuing story lines are based on seven cardinal sins widely committed ever since Adam was a lad. Each of these fictional dramas has gone on and on for years, undoubtedly snagging a lot of money for a lot of people - and giving a wierd vicarious experience to what has to be a strange, insatiable audience. I recall my grandmother listening to Stella Dallas on the radio, and there was probably a lot of double entendre that didn't register with a young boy, but I don't believe lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride were as openly paraded as in today's TV offerings. And, of course, radio was a listening experience requiring imagination whereas TV is a visual medium leaving little to the imagination.