Saturday, October 24

Buying from a catalog

Sometime in my youth I probably ordered a bumper sticker for my tricycle and it seems that since then I have been on the mailing list of every English language catalog publisher in the Western World - well at least in America.
And it pays to look and hesitate (procrastinate might be a better word) before ordering. Couple of cases at point:
The National Geographic catalog offers the Irish Donegal Tweed Cap for $62.00; Hammacher Schlemmer offers the identical cap for $49.95.
Hammacher Schlemmer offers 120 CD selector box that stores your CD and DVDs along with an index where you can make a choice and the desired CD or DVD pops up into your hand. Price: $149.95. You can get the identical product from the Herrington catalog for $89.95.
If you are in the market for a "learn to play Illuminated Fret Electric Guitar" you can get one of those for a $499.95 or for $179.95 you can order a "learn to play Violin and DVD of instructions."
There is no limit to the range of goods offered in these catalogs. Right now I am looking at the Vermont Country Store and a Large Brandy Plum Pudding. I will keep my readers informed.
(The foregoing is an e-mail version of a blog entry made this day. Click on the link for the complete blog.)