Thursday, June 23

A remembrance - Charles Archibald



My brother Charlie (on the right) died on May 22, 2011, while I was on a trip overseas. He was the youngest of five children in our family and had battled throat cancer for about two years. I found it very difficult to talk with him on the phone a few weeks earlier. It seemed so heartless to talk about how good my life was to someone who I knew was facing the end of his life. Instead, I wrote him a loving e-mail remembering some of the special events in our lives and how he was a favorite of my late wife, Mary (Died - December 29, 2010). After my e-mail he called me from the hospital and we were able to talk on the phone. I reminded Charlie we came from poor and humble circumstances, but it was not how you started but how you ended up. By that standard Charlie did OK. My two oldest sons went to Massachusetts and represented my wing of the family at the graveside services. Charlie was a quixotic personality in many ways but he will be missed when the family gathers and reminisces.