Friday, August 10

No applause at horse shows


Ever wonder why there is little to no applause during horse shows, and what there is is often subdued? 
Several years ago I went to a horse show in Vienna, Austria, where the famous Lipizzaner Stallions  were performing. During this fabulous performance I was a standee in the second balcony looking down on horses and riders. When the performance was over the audience remained respectful as the riders and horses gracefully retreated to the stalls. Without warning I was seized with a loud burst of repetitive sneezing and several really loud ah-choos rocked the hall. I made so much noise the horses bolted, reared up and almost threw riders. The audience on the first level instantly turned their gaze my way; I thought my fellow standees on the balcony would throw me into the arena. I tried to apologize silently with an embarrassed face but that did not go over well with anyone. Although I could not understand all the comments I got the message to exit quickly and quietly. After the horses had cleared the arena, loud applause showed appreciation for, I am sure, the performance, and not my sneezing. 

For more blog entries see: www.archibaldinsc.blogspot.com
To be removed from this list send "remove" e-mail to: arch@archibald99com