Thursday, October 17

A couple of friends

A couple of friends dropped by Wednesday en-route from Florida to North Carolina. What makes this couple
so special is they are my two oldest friends in terms of years known. Don and Edna Sherrow were in Washington with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations when I arrived there in the spring of 1953. Don was in the USAF and serving as the Administrative Support in the Counter-Intelligence Division. Edna was a secretary in the Sabotage & Espionage Branch, which I joined as Administrative Support. Later Don and I each went to the OSI Special Agents training school and served several years conducting personnel, criminal and counter-intelligence investigations. I left the Air Force for civilian life and Don transferred into the Army where he was commissioned. He later worked as a Postal Inspector. Interestingly, their daughter and one of my sons, met and worked together in later years.
It was the first meeting of my wife, Joyce, and the Sherrows and they took to each other immediately. We don't see each other all that often, just the occasional service reunions and when passing through each other's living area, but the friendly ties and bonds formed years ago when we were all young and starry-eyed continue to this day.