Friday, April 25

My walk - in free verse


I went up Wax Myrtle Lane
At Cat Brier Drive I went right
An instant decision
Usually I go left.

A car came toward me
One step off the edge of the road
Onto the grass
Until it passed.

Then a waste haul truck
Came along
Again, I stood on the grass
Until it passed.

Two women did I encounter
Walking in the opposite direction
One talking on a cellphone
The other being ignored
We passed without exchanging greetings.

Onto Timber Lane
And through Stablegate community
A man and his dog
A plastic glove on hand
To clean up after the dog.

Rat-a-tat-tat, I heard
And, again, a second volley
I stopped and looked
But could not see the woodpecker.

The day was cool
The sky was clear
I turned left on Moss Creek drive
And left on Cat Brier
And right on Wax Myrtle Lane
I was home
My daily walk was over.


To opt out e-mail to: arch@archibald99.com