Monday, December 28

A New Year cometh...



In three days 2015 will be history. This has not been the best of years. Personal loss included a sister and a wife. Personal benefits include good health, five children and families who love and support each other and me, and new friends made and kept. A great-grandson made his appearance and is a loving joy. Out of deference to his parents’ wishes, no one in the family is putting his pictures in social media on the web. But take my word for it he is a handsome little man. Siblings and close old friends continue to do well and we are grateful for that and them. 

As we greet the New Year we are on the run-up to the Presidential primaries and later the election. In this mornings paper a lead story says that all the tickets are sold out for a local (Hilton Head Island) appearance by Donald Trump. At this time a year ago not many saw this wheeler-dealer leading the Republican pack at this time. I belong to the school-of-thought that says thrill seekers will attend a manhole cover opening but not many will jump in. We shall see.

Our country collectively faces many challenges, foreign and domestic in 2016. Some of these are old problems and there will be new ones. Individually, obesity is a major problem for too many Americans. I am shocked at the size of some people I see locally and as I travel around on the East Coast. 

But every year as I grow older, I remain convinced this is still the greatest country in the world. I traveled to Northern Virginia over Christmas and saw new growth and building underway in several venues. Projects I witnessed starting a couple of years ago have been finished. People have new places to live and work.  

I have unbounded faith that we -- the American people -- will meet the challenges in 2016 and a year from now look back on a great year. 

I hope it will be so for all of you and your loved ones. Do the best you can for yourself and others. You will be happiest. 

Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!