Tuesday, March 29

Off we go into the wild blue yonder...

One of my grandsons left for Air Force basic training at Lackland Air Fore Base in Texas yesterday.  His family had a launch party for him on Sunday, with about 30 friends and family members on hand to wish him well. I did not make the tips but earlier sent him a letter expressing my pride in his enlistment and wishing him well. This is that letter:

March 20, 2016 

Dear Matthew,

When you go to bed next Sunday night, Easter 2016, you will close a chapter in the book of your young life. On Monday, March 28, you will turn a page and begin to write the next chapter entitled,  My Air Force Life. 

What you write will depend on many things, not the least of which is the interest you take in the new and exciting world you will discover around you. When I entered the Air Force, also on a Monday, April 21, 1951, it was a major eye-opener for me. Like you I had lived all of my life in one town surrounded by family and friends whose lives were much like mine. But when I boarded the train all this changed. Family stayed behind, friends scurried around some where, and I was with new faces who had different backgrounds and histories. But, before long we were a small part of a large team: the USAF.

I served the Air Force well and it did well by me. You will get out of it what you bring to it and what you put into it. On that basis I know you will do well and this new chapter will be filled with memories you will cherish forever. Be true to yourself, your fellow Airmen, your superiors and your country. Be proud of the uniform you will wear and remember the sacrifices of thousands who have gone before you and built the finest Air Force in the world.  They have left you with a heavy charge to carry on the traditions.

I am proud to be your Grandfather. You are a fine young man and your late Grandmother Mary, who also served in the Air Force, would be as proud of you as I am.

God Bless you, Matthew, may He keep you safe and strong. With you in the Air Force, I know our country will always be safe and free.

Love from Grandpa

Click for complete blog.

Send comments to: arch@archibald99.com