Thursday, May 12

Remembering George Carlin



Two stories in the local paper (The Island Packet, Hilton Head, SC) this morning reminded me of things George Carlin, he of the acerbic wit, said. Carlin had to be taken with a grain of salt; after all he was a great comedian who had mastered the English language, sometimes putting academics to shame. 

Thieves stole a trailer full of tools from the Habitat for Humanity property. They are still unknown. These are the kind of people Carlin said should be tied to a gurney and beaten with a piece of heavy mining equipment.

A second story quoted a South Carolina legislator who introduced a bill that lets bankrupt residents hold on to $5,000 worth of guns as referring in his remarks to “my daddy” and “my granddaddy.” Carlin had distain for such terms he said were “favored by rebel a**holes.”
(Full disclosure: When I was in the state legislature back in the early eighties, I spoke and voted against allowing people to hold on to expensive TVs in bankruptcy proceedings. I was referred to in the debate as a scrooge.)




Email comments to: arch@archibald99.com