Saturday, June 5

Get this message

(Published June 5, 2010)

Letters to the Editor
The Post & Courier
Charleston, SC

Dear Sir

It was inspiring to read about the 830 students who graduated from MUSC into the health care field last week. I wish them all a lifetime of career satisfaction as they attend to the medical needs of their patients.
I recently sent a one-paragraph to a doctor whose name I omit out of courtesy. If the 830 were smart enough to graduate, they ought to be smart enough to get this message:

"Dear Dr. Name Omitted

"Today, Thursday, May 20, 2010, I arrived at your office with my wife, Mary Archibald, at 10:35 for a 10:50 appointment. At 11:30 we were still waiting in the outer office with the prospect of being there at least another hour. Two other patients had gone into the inner office ahead of us and neither had come out. A third patient was also ahead of us in the outer office. During this wait a drug rep came, was admitted to the inner office and left after about twenty minutes. Another person came delivering three large bags (it looked like lunch). All this time Mary was in her wheel chair. I know when she is tiring and the likelihood of another hour’s wait was obviously going to be too much for her. (I had picked her up at Franke’s Skilled Nursing unit at 10:15.) We left."

Sincerely,

/s/ Francis X. Archibald

(From my blog.)