Tuesday, June 8

Spare me your "mercy"

I believe most people today are like myself; poorly informed about gladiators. When I visited the Rome Colosseum a few years ago I found it much smaller than I had imagined in my mind. After all what I know about gladiators I learned from the silver screen and actors like Victor Mature, Kirk Douglas and Russell Crowe, all of whom vanquished large animals and brutes bigger than themselves, won their freedom and made off with some busty woman.
Thus, I was intrigued when I saw a headline in the local paper about a possible gladiator graveyard being uncovered in England. The article reported new forensic evidence suggests bones belonged to gladiators. It cited men larger than the average Roman, arm-muscle stress indicating possible weapons training at an early age, and carnivore marks on bones, all suggesting an arena connection. It was a shock to read that gladiators were often beheaded as an "act of mercy after suffering horrific injuries during their fights." You would hope they would have been given some hemlock or a tainted mushroom.