Thursday, December 17

Thanks for your prayers



Last night I had a discussion with The Big Guy. He came to me as I was dropping off to sleep and he sure was crabby. He called me a schmuck and asked, “What’s the matter with you?” And he didn’t give me a chance to respond before he continued. “All day long I’ve been bombarded with prayers, incantations, begging, beseeching, pestering, and soliciting - all up and down the east coast from Florida to New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I even heard from your sister in California. Some people in Northern Virginia took time away from their national security work to put in a good word for you. And then it picked up in Myrtle Beach and Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant alone was enough to cause a near meltdown in the heavenly computer center. All kinds of people who live near you, a lot of women and some men, children, black and white, all on my case on your behalf. Active and retired Lutheran ministers (and by the way I had you in the Roman Catholic catalog) got into it. Around noon Matthew came to see me. He was acting for Luke who is off in Brussels with those Microsoft people celebrating the European Union dropping the browser monopoly charges that have been on the front burner for a couple of years. I put Luke in charge of information technology because he is the best educated of the apostles. He was a doctor and historian, as I hope you remember from your bible study classes. You schmuck. At first I thought it was those other schmucks at Notre dame looking for a coach who could win ten games a year, five years running. I told Matthew I sent them a good Catholic coach from Massachusetts with a sterling record. Then he told me it was you. I was having a latte with Mary Magdalene and we were reminiscing over old times, especially that last supper where she was beside me on my right side at the table. Didn’t I put you and your health problems in one of the best hospitals in the eastern half of the United States? And didn’t I give you a world class surgeon? And then you still have all these people bothering me at the busiest time of the year. Matthew told me that if the pressure did not subside the system would overload and fail. He said that millions of children would not be able to get through with their requests for Christmas. Dreams of toys, dogs and jobs for dad would not be received. We put in a call to Luke and asked him for a recommendation. He said originally the surgeon was going to keep you overnight in the hospital because you got a pacemaker in October and he wanted to keep an eye on you. Luke said this was unnecessary, that your heart was in good shape and we should suggest to the surgeon that he send you home a couple of hours after the surgery. Luke stressed that we should only make this as a suggestion because doctors like to be in charge. Your Guardian Angel told me two of that brood of children you have were on hand to take you home and you would not have to walk from Charleston to Mt. Pleasant, so we planted the ‘send him home’ seed. Unless it is a real emergency I don’t want to hear from you again before Christmas, unless you want to send a “thank you” - that is always in order.”
(This is from my blog at http://archibaldinsc.blogspot.com)