Tuesday, December 22

They are at it again....



The prophets of doom and gloom who delight in knocking Congress and irritating the old people are out and about this Christmas season spreading lies and damn lies. The latest comes in an e-mail message, where the originator's identify has been stripped, claiming that the U.S. House and Senate have voted themselves thousand dollar pay increases for 2010 and social security recipients will not be getting a token cost of living increase. Furthermore, these false prophets said Medicare is going to $142.80 next year (currently $96.50).
I get so tired of this elder abuse so I checked this out. I went to Factcheck.com and learned "this claim is so far off the mark that it simply beggars belief. The claim is false. The fact is that Congress voted in March to give itself a zero pay raise in 2010. The language is in Public Law 111-8, the Omnibus Appropriation Act for the current fiscal year, which was signed March 11. Tucked away at the very end of the 466-page spending bill is the following language:

"It says quite simply that the automatic cost-of-living increase that might have gone into effect for members of the House and Senate in January "shall not take effect."


As to Medicare, I got a notice last week about my social security benefits for 2010 and it does not show any increase in Medicare costs for either my wife or myself.