Tuesday, January 30

Why I Blog


I enjoy the stimulation that comes with writing.

The brain is a muscle and, like more physical muscles, will suffer from overuse, misuse or under-use. Reading a book, doing a puzzle, playing card games, learning new songs, and writing are a few ways to exercise the memory and the brain. And all of these things can be done at home and cost next to nothing.

Writing my blog requires me to think about a subject, maybe do some research, learn something new, compose thoughts and put them in logical sentences and paragraphs. Doctors, scientists, and other practitioners in mental health, tell us this kind of mental exercise will help keep the memory sharp. Mentally active people, it is said, live longer and more meaningful lives than those who sleep-walk through the “golden years.”

Frequently people who read my blog agree or disagree and say so, often putting forth new thoughts or insights on the issue. I enjoy these exchanges with people, some of whom I know, others total strangers. Occasionally, a man (judging by the handwriting) from the Charleston, SC, area sends me an unsigned, no return address, letter and dresses me down in intemperate language, casting aspersions on my sanity, politics, and/or heritage. I always enjoy his scribbling and wonder what his room number is at the mental health facility.