Saturday, August 3

Discovery House

In 1789 a man named John Hanahan settled a piece of land on Hilton Head Island, SC; ultimately known as "Honey Horn," said to be the Gullah pronunciation of his family name. Interestingly enough for over 50 years I lived in Hanahan, SC, a bedroom community more than 100 miles from Hilton Head. Our family lovingly referred to it as "Happy Hanahan." 
The house on Honey Horn is called Discovery House and serves as a local museum and meeting place, showing how life was a couple of hundred years ago. There is  a dock with access to the marshes and water (some evidence of crabbing) and a walking trail through the surrounding woods on the property. Giant oak trees are still plentiful; one of these is near the entrance to Discovery House. Discovery House is aptly named as we - my wife and I - discovered this charming new mom with her nine-week old adopted child. She had an older daughter by her side. It gave me a great feeling to see the joy in the eyes of this loving mother. I wish I had the presence of mind
to get her name and address so I could share these photos.